Monday 20 September 2010

Newspaper Shirt

Having experimented with manipulating clothes in their original form, we then had to take them apart and re-assemble them into something new. I decided to remake my shirt out of newspaper - which made the shirt more fragile and uncomfortable, contrasting to before, when the shirt was old and worn.




To begin, I cut up the old shirt into sections to use as a template for the newspaper.








Here is the initial template for the newspaper shirt. I attached the different parts of the template together using masking tape, leaving the front open. I like the interesting patterns made by the text on the newspaper - mirroring the lines on the original shirt.










Using some of the parts of the original shirt, I made a corsage, to incorporate into the newspaper shirt.







This is the newspaper shirt completed - with the added corsage and belt (made from the original shirt). I wanted to join the newspaper and cotton together in the new shirt as they contrasted well with each other. To keep the corsage and belt attached to the newspaper, I used string.









No comments:

Post a Comment